What is a Prehung Door?
There are two main door types — prehung and slab doors. Both impact the construction process and your project efficiency. A prehung interior door can improve installation and fit multiple spaces. Learn more about the different interior doors with help from Manhattan Door Corporation.
A prehung door is a slab door already attached to a frame on three sides. This model is essentially a prepackaged door that is ready to be installed into a doorway. The door includes a few different attachments, including the door slab, hinges, frame, mortises in the door and a hole for the doorknob. Prehung doors come in multiple sizes and dimensions to match existing doorways.
A slab door is a basic door that does not include a frame. Contractors or builders must attach the door to the frame with hinges. With a slab door, the purchaser will also have to buy hinges, a doorknob, a strike pad, stain and the frame materials. These doors may or may not have predrilled holes for the doorknob.
Benefits of Prehung Doors
Prehung doors simplify the entire construction process. While installing a frame or positioning the hinges may not take much time, it still pauses progress and adds extra steps. Prehung doors are an excellent alternative to slabs, especially when installing multiple doors at once.
There are many reasons to opt for a prehung door:
- Speed: Since the frame is already attached, prehung doors are easier to install.
- Versatility: These doors can replace existing frames or serve as the primary door in a new build.
- Efficiency: Prehung doors are usually weathertight and come in exterior and interior options.
How to Mount a Prehung Door
Prehung doors will come with or without trim. Whether you are replacing an old frame or inserting one from scratch, the process is straightforward:
- If necessary, remove the existing door.
- Align the prehung door with the outline for the frame.
- Add the shims around the doorframe for a secure fit.
- Attach the frame to the studs.
- Install the trim around the frame if necessary.
- Attach the hardware and make sure the door is fully functional. Make adjustments as necessary.
Contact Manhattan Door Corporation Today
Manhattan Door has been serving door suppliers for four generations. We can handle orders of all sizes, ranging from one to 10,000 doors. We supply prehung doors and other door types to match various styles, uses and buildings, which will streamline installation and reduce construction time.